Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 5914 and Dickson Toolpost

On 2008-02-23, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-02-22, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-02-21, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

On 2008-02-21, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

FWIW, I just measured the thickness of the original T-nut for the DuMore
toolpost grinder, and it was 0.187". I would have simply left
the one which I made for the Clausing on it, except that it does
not fit under the bridge which supports the toolpost mount in
the case. This is not one of the cases with the hinged front
panel, but rather one with a single hinge at the back.

To take the grinder out you have to:

[ ... ]

I've already had the grinder partly apart, but have not yet tried to
mount it on the lathe. I have to fix the overheating-spindle problem
first.

O.K. Good luck with that. I think that the time has come to
replace the bearings in the motor of mine.

[ ... ]

And most bridge cranes are big enough that one can use them to move
machines to and from the bed of a flatbed or pickup truck.

Again -- not an option in my shop, with so little clear floor
space -- even if I had the height for the bridge crane.

The other advantage of the engine-hoist style is that one can lift
closer to the ceiling. With bridge cranes, the highest one can lift the
hook is something like 15" or 18" below the top of the crossbeam, while
a hoist can put the hook about 6" below the ceiling. This is a big
difference in a shop with a low ceiling.

And I certainly have a low ceiling. It did start as a garage
with the above floor needing to match the level of an already existing
portion of the house.

Some of these days, I've got to get a couple of friends and
spend a day rearranging the tools to get the mills closer together, and
move the grinders away from such precision tools. :-)

I'm already somewhat separated, with grinders in one room and the lathe
plus mill in the other. This was dictated more by space than by smarts.

Good, anyway.

That's what I normally do -- but I've got the largest insert
holder available to fit into my Aloris tool holders, and the inserts
which fit stop short of the acme thread which I had to cut to make a
replacement nut for a friend's leadscrew-driven log splitter. He
ordered a good bronze for the nut, and I made both a dummy external
thread to duplicate the one in the spitter, and then the internal thread
in the nut. For that -- it was a choice of grinding freehand, or using
the surface grinder, and the latter gave me more control of the
clearance angles to match them to the thread which I was cutting. The
external thread was cut with a standard 1/4" HSS bit held in the Aloris
holder, while the internal was a 3/16" bit held in an old boring bar
which fit one of the boring bar holders for the Aloris toolpost.

OK. What acme thread were you cutting? Given the delicate nature of
the application, one assumes that this leadscrew is quite dainty.

It was something like 1-1/4" diameter IIRC, and perhaps 5 or 6
TPI, I think.

Shouldn't this been the excuse to buy a larger insert holder and insert?

Not an option. The shanks on large enough holders would not fit
in the toolpost holders on my lathe. I'm limited to 5/8" shanks. I
think that the next size up of inserts required 1" shanks, but I'm not
sure, and the MSC catalog is too deeply buried for me to dive into it at
the moment.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564