Posted to alt.home.repair

Default spacer for receptacles/switches?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Got a unique situation in my house... in the basement, there is a double
gang box sunk into a masonry wall, to control the lighting. Unfortunately,
it was apparently either installed badly or else installed assuming that
the wall would be finished with drywall and not the thin wood paneling
that it was finished with. Eventually I'd like to redecorate, but until
then, the cover plate that doesn't fit flush to the wall bothers me
slightly. Is there a product made to take up this gap, or is my best hope
to knock something together with thin pieces of hardwood molding?

If there is a mud ring on a square box in your wall, you can replace it with
a mud ring that has less depth. Also Mulberry makes deep wall plates. You
can order them through an electrical supply company. My father used to use
shallow depth Wiremold boxes to cover an extreme anomaly. I don't think the
real shallow ones are available anymore since they stopped making the 200
series.