Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Windows painted shut

Pdk Pdk wrote:
Some old second story windows are painted shut. I was told I
should think about new windows, which WILL happen, but not for a year or
so. But, until then, I want to get these old windows open again, if
only for safety sake, and for summertime ventilation.
Any ideas on the best way to get these painted-shut windows
open?
Thanks.

BTDT. New blade in a utility knife, and cut the paint in the corner so
as to minimize flaking. Go slow- it will keep jumping out of corner on
you. But it usually takes more- because I already had it in the tool
bucket I was using, I used a clean wide high-quality putty knife and a
hammer, to tap sideways into the sliding joint, where some paint almost
always has seeped. The window will make scary noises, and if wood or
putty is rotten, this is when it will fail, so have plastic film and
duct tape ready, along with plywood if you are in a bad neighborhood.
(Better to have it and not need it, etc.)

Yeah, I could use new windows too, but these are basically in good
condition, and with current housing market, I'd never get my money back
on heating costs or added value at resale. I reputtied mine 2 summers
ago, but really need to go back and scrape and paint, and maybe replace
the storms on the windward side. So I do feel your pain.

aems ends...