Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Noise through ceiling/floor. Way to soundproof?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:43:25 GMT, a wrote:

mm wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:11:00 -0800 (PST), Jo - the girl
wrote:

I'm trying to go to (community) college and am living with my parents
for financial and health reasons. My bedroom is right above the family
room where my father watches TV for about 17 hours a day. When I go to
bed I hear the TV blaring through the floor, when I try to study or
relax I hear the TV through the floor. It's one thing to hear a very
muted sound through the floor but it's another when I can almost hear
the words of whatever program he's watching. He's not deaf so I don't
know what his problem is.

I suppose he has lost some of his hearing or he wouldn't want it this
loud. (I assume when you are in that room the sound is louder than you
would have it?)

Regardles, I suppose someone will suggest headphones, but it would
take me quite a while, if ever, to get used to such things. Right now
I don't like them, even though I have had to use them on occasion.
OToH, he might not feel as I do.

There are some very nice and light wireless headphones now that would be
just the thing...

Since you replied to me and not the OP: Personally, I don't care how
nice or light they are. I have used very light headphones and I don't
like them. I don't want the OP to think his father is unreasonable,
is the only one who feels that way, if he doesn't want to wear
headphones. I suppose he should try them first, but maybe he already
knows.