Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Windows painted shut

Pdk Pdk wrote:

Some old second story windows are painted shut. I was told I
should think about new windows, which WILL happen, but not for a year or
so. But, until then, I want to get these old windows open again, if
only for safety sake, and for summertime ventilation.
Any ideas on the best way to get these painted-shut windows
open?
Thanks.

If you are inclined to climb a ladder, you can use a utility knife to
cut through the paint film,
taking care of course not to cut toward yourself or be off balance. My
choice would be to
removed the inside trim and just pull the sash loose. You probably will
chip some paint
either way. For simplicity, you might want to try a couple of taps on
the sash to see if
that loosens it.