Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Buying thread cutting taps dies and best type of tool steel to use????

On 2008-02-23, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:29:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
snip
I wonder what would be regarded as best all round material for a tap
and die set?

snip
================
I suggest that you consider if you need a *SET*.

Most hobby machinists have a type/size of work they tend to do
most of their work in, and there tends to be only a few thread
sizes in any given type/size of work. Thus with a set you will
wind up with a large number of taps/dies you won't use.

[ ... ]

If possible, talk to some other home shop machinists that are
doing the types of work you are interested in and see what the
common threads are. Metric is becoming increasingly common.

This reminds me of the one set which I consider a worthwhile
purchase. I got mine from MSC (not in today's sales flyer, but maybe in
another soon). This is what I use for most metric work -- a HUOT index
which contains a few common size taps (gun taps, FWIW with TiN coating)
and the corresponding tap drill to go with each tap. It does not cover
all sizes by a long shot, but it provides most of the sizes which I need
from time to time -- even resulting in my choosing to use metric for
certain projects, since I did not have to go off and purchase a tap
specifically for the project.

Note that this set does not have any dies. But I do my metric
threads on my Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe, where the choice of inch
or metric is just flipping a switch and then keying in the thread pitch
and depth.

There are similar HUOT index sets for inch sizes, but I already
had all of the sizes which I needed to use -- many of some, only a few
of others.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |