Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Derek A Derek A is offline

Default Finishing

On Feb 21, 2:15 pm, John wrote:
One of the thing I have found as a newcomer to wood turning is there are
many ways of finishing an object. The problem is knowing what finish to
use on a species, or even better what should not

Does anyone know of a Website out there that lists different species and
the basic finishes that work and don't work or to what extent they work?

If one doesn't already exist I can see something like this would be
useful to those like myself, as it would save wasting materials, money
and potentially wood on something proven not to work, or that is
ineffective.

At present I am just playing the experimental game

Most wood finishes work on most species. There exceptions, such as oil
finishes not curing on exotic woods with resin in them, but for the
most part anything goes.

When choosing a finish you may want to start by determining what
characteristics you want the finish to have. Do you want to build a
hard protective film, or do you want to still be able to feel the
wood. Is the item purely decorative, or do I need to be able to wash
this bowl in the sink? Does it need to be water proof? Do I want it to
shine or to be flat? Is it easy to apply or will I need special
equipment or take special safety precautions?

So carry on experimenting with different finishes. Why not make some
simple spindles and treat each with a different finish and keep for
reference?

Derek Andrews

http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for