Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default Table saw wired for 220 but using a standard 3 prong plug

wrote:

On Feb 23, 7:34 am, Chuck Taylor wrote:

Once I got the machine home, I changed out the plug so there'd be no
confusion.

No sense of adventure, eh?

Robert

I had a an old table saw that was wired for 110. It could be
wired either way, but at that time I only had 110 in my shop. I
had installed a quad outlet box on it. I took it to a jobsite
and set it up. Was popping breakers when ripping 8/4 oak and
asked the electrician to rewire it for 220, so he did and
hardwired it to the temporary loop. He told me that the outlets
on that quad box would all be 220, now, so don't use them. I didn't.

One morning, I came in and the drywall guys were already there
putting up drywall. They all had these brand new Makita drywall
guns and were raving about how fast a powerful they were. Thats
when I noticed where they had them plugged in!

They were ****ed when I told them that they were running on 220,
but surprisingly it did not seem to damage them. They ran fine
for the rest of the job and for the several after that. I am
sure that their life expectancy had been reduced, but I have no
idea by how much.

After they switched over to standard power, the bragging stopped.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.