Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default Table saw wired for 220 but using a standard 3 prong plug

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:25:05 -0800 (PST), fourempties
wrote:

Just bought a Ridgid TS that the guy said is wired 220 but has a
standard plug on it to use in a regular 110 outlet. He said it works
fine this way and he used it all the time like this. Any thoughts? I
have not turned it on yet.

Ok.. he COULD have a 220v circuit at home with a 110v plug.. Not that uncommon,
I have a couple of 220v switched cords that have 115v plugs on them..
Most likely, though, he meant that it COULD run on 220v...

I have a Ridgid TS and it takes maybe 3 minutes to check, so I'd do the
following before I plugged it in to anything:

Pull the screws off the motor started plate and look at the diagram on the
housing, compared to how the motor is wired.. It's a LOT easier than you'd
think, because the wire routing is very different for 220/110..

BTW: a lot of things say "prewired" 220v but you have to change them anyway..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing