John Rumm

Default Best Isolating valves for Central Heating Pumps??

Frank Sweeting wrote:

1 how can I remove the backnut from the pump - I can swing the isolating
valve & pump around the olive on the 22mm pipework! So the
backnut/washer/pump face are really tightly together! Ive tried bashing the
pump motor housing with a copper mallet while holding the isolating valve
body with mole grips - no good! There must be a magic way but I haven't
thought of it yet!

Have you tried heating the nut with a blowtorch for a bit? - a few
heating cycles can help break the bond. You could also just cut of a
short section of copper pipe either side and replace the isolating
valves at the same time.

Failing that you could split the nut off - nut splitter or a metal
cutting disc in a dremmel type tool.

2 & what would you fit as isolating valves - are handle operated 90 degree
ball shut off valves any good over long periods of time?

Not bad - if you get ones that do not restrict the flow rate (and hence
introduce extra water hammer noise).

--
Cheers,

John.