Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default "Replacement Windows" versus "New Windows"

wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:07:38 GMT, "Smarty" wrote:

A lot will depend on the quality of the installers. If they just cover
up damaged or rotted wood in your old bucking your new windows will
not be as secure as they should be. I would want to be there watching
and looking at the rough openings when the old windows come out.
I am not sue how home inspectors evaluate replacement windows but if
they get a bad name in that community it could affect resale value,
whether the concern was valid or not.

I had some quality replacement windows installed last year. I was
talking to one of the installers and mentioned that I heard of people
replacing windows in relatively new houses, i.e. less than 10 years old.
His comment was that windows were probably not installed right in the
first place. In my experience with building inspectors, if as a home
owner you get a permit to do something, an inspector will hound you.
OTOH, if you are a builder, inspectors visits are infrequent and
mistakes are quickly covered up by builders so inspectors don't see them.