Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_2_] Gerald Ross[_2_] is offline

Default Remote off button on Nova DVR XP

Here's how I replicated the OFF button in a remote kill switch.

Materials: Doorbell wire
Surface mount switch box
Momentary contact push switch (works like a doorbell button)
Magnet
cover plate for switch box
Grommet for switch box
Tools Screwdriver
fine tip soldering pencil (I like the butane powered ones for
working around electronics)
Needle nose pliers

Procedu (Pictures on ABPW)

TURN OFF LATHE AND UNPLUG IT. WAIT 5 MINUTES FOR THE CAPACITOR TO
DISCHARGE.

Loosen the four screws holding the controls panel. Pull outward and
let it hang upside down. The ribbon wire from the control buttons come
up between the electronic boards and connect via a blue connector to
the upper board. Pull the blue connector off. I checked which two
leads were connected by pushing the OFF button while checking with an
ohmmeter. It was the two rightmost leads.

Drill a small hole in what will be the left lower side of the control
panel. Feed in doorbell wire, tie a knot in it for strain relief,
leaving enough to reach the pins going into the blue connector. Strip
1/4 inch from the wires, bend into a "j" shape and tin with solder.

Hook one j around the base of the first pin, crimp it tightly with the
needle schnozzle pliers and solder it with the fine tip soldering
pencil with just a dab of solder on the tip of the pencil. Repeat for
the second pin. Make sure no solder or wire touches another pin.

Replace the blue connector, replace the panel and tighten screws.

Drill a hole in the end of the receptacle box for a grommet (not
necessary if you use a plastic box). Attach a magnet to the bottom.
I used a plain metal outlet cover and drilled a hole for the push
button switch. The switch I used was a left over door switch for a
hardwired alarm system. On top of the switch I epoxied a red painted
knob.

Insert the grommet in it's hole, feed through the wire, knot it for
strain relief and attach wires to push switch. Assemble and test.

When I tested mine, I turned the lathe power switch on and let it boot
up. Then I pushed the OFF button (while the lathe was stopped) and got
the burble sound. Then I pushed the red button and got the same sound.
Sounded good so far. Then I pushed the on button and got a sound but
the spindle did not turn. Instant panic. Then remembered I had left
the spindle lock engaged. Tried again and it ran, pushed the remote
button and it stopped.

Notes: I will replace the doorbell wire with stranded wire like small
lamp wire for flexibility and abrasion resistance, other than the
portion soldered to the pins. These need to be single conductor.

DISCLAIMER: Doing this may void the warranty. If the wires are not
secure they may come loose and create havoc in the control panel.
Don't blame me if your lathe explodes, your shop burns down, or your
wife leaves you. However I am happy with my red button.

Now for an electronic brake that slows it down when you push the red
button....
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA