Gary Coffman

Default Hose clamp with Torx screw

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:55:17 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:12:14 -0700, "frank" wrote:
Nice idea, but there is no room between the tailgate and the truck bed to
put a common padlock. Even a "tee bolt" type hose clamp will not fit. (If
one
did I would just change the bolt to a Torx bolt.)

I put the hasp on the frame that holds the tailgate and the loop on
the tail gate itself. Its not particularly in the way and it prevents
me from having another $15,000 burglary to my truck.

Reminds me of a tragic story. Six University of Georgia students were
riding in a pickup truck. The truck went off the road and into a lake. The
two riding in the cab got out ok, but the four in the back drowned when
they couldn't let down the tailgate.

I suppose, being UGA students and all, it never occurred to them
to simply step over the tailgate, or the bed sides. Thieves, generally
smarter than UGA students, would probably figure out that they could
simply reach over the locked tailgate to take what they wanted from
the bed of the pickup.

On my work truck, I have a large Greenlee job box welded to the bed.
Its lid is held closed by two shielded padlocks (they're in pockets which
prevent them from being attacked with boltcutters). I put high value
items in the job box instead of just leaving them in the bed where
anyone can get to them. Thieves have broken into my truck, stealing
the CD player out of the dash, but they haven't yet been able to penetrate
the job box and get to my high value tools.

BTW, an aluminum camper cap is about worthless as a way of stopping
thieves. A couple seconds with a prybar will peel back the aluminum, or
they'll simply heave a brick through the glass, then they have access to
everything in the bed that is not welded down.

About the only thing putting a lock on the tailgate might do is prevent
the thieves from easily stealing the tailgate.

Gary