Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:16:03 GMT, John wrote:

I have a simple design ring tool here but I would say it is far less
rugged than the one pictures. The first went back to the store on day
one as the ring was silver soldered to the shaft, unfortunately it was a
poor joint. The second it touched wood it came apart! The replacement
has been more successful, though my understanding is these are suitable
only for end grain and the hollowing I was doing was cross grain.

Well, the termite and my other toy, the Supercut "universal tool" are both
supposed to be for end grain but seem to work fine for either orientation..
I'd guess that they're called "end grain" tools because that's a task that most
of us find more difficult than cross grain?

but I wouldn't use it on something less than maybe 5 or 6 inches deep as it
really doesn't work well with shallow stuff..

I have a few nice blanks here which are 12inch + deep which I will play
with later in the year, when it gets warmer ) My workshop has recently
been up as high at 6 deg C

I (no longer) feel your pain.. I used to use my shop about 6 months a year when
we were in the States..
Right now, at 7pm, it's hovering at 22C with the outside temp at 19C

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing