Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default garage shelf project article???

On Feb 22, 10:49*am, wrote:
I am having a hard time trying to remember where I saw a project
involving garage storage. *The main thing I remember about the
project
was that the shelf supports consisted of two boards (2x4 perhaps)
with
a triangular shaped rib from plywood forming a sort of I beam type
structure. *From what I remember the article was in the last 3 years
but I can't recall the magazine I saw it in and I haven't had any
luck
with google or searches of some of the magazine websites. *I am
hoping
that this brief description is enough to trigger someone's memory.

Thanks,

Jim

I've made 2 different types of shelfs for my garage.

One shelf is 3 feet deep and spans the entire width of the single car
garage. First I attached a 2 x 4 to the studs on the side walls. I
then made a framed "floor" from 2 x 4's with joists 3' OC,
perpendicular to the back wall. There's a single 2 x 4 across the back
and a double 2 x 4 in the front. I lifted the frame and laid it on the
2 x 4's attached to the side walls and screwed the back 2 x 4 to the
studs. I then laid 3/4" plywood on top of the frame. Finally I added a
length of steel strapping from a ceiling joist to the center of the
front beam for extra support. The shelf holds all my camping gear and
is strong enough for me to climb on top to get stuff. I positioned
the shelf high enough to drive the hood of a car underneath.

The other shelves are along the side walls. I screwed a 2 x 4 to the
inside face of a wall stud, perpendicular to the wall. I then cut 45's
off the ends of another 2 x 4 and lagged one end into the stud and the
other into the bottom of the 2 x 4 sticking out from the wall. Toss a
piece of ply across 2 (or more) of these, and you've got a shelf of
any width you want.

Add a 2 x 4 between the 2 angle supports and a cleat across the face
of the studs and you can put shelf on top and a narrower one below - 2
shelves from each assembly. I've got 6 shelves, all 4 feet wide, 3 of
which are 30" deep and 3 which are about 18".