Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

In message , mac davis
writes
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:27:42 GMT, John wrote:

Wow.. that's (in my mind) a pretty radical tool, especially for what you're
doing.. I think if I was going to spend that much money trying to imitate a
metal lathe, I'd just use a metal lathe..lol

I think because of my background, Avionics QA, Production and R&D I have
too often seen low cost solutions employed to a problem, only to see a
few months later the investment being discarded for a more expensive but
reliable/versatile solution. For that reason I often now invest to save
Another advantage of this approach is one learning curve rather than
two or three.

You might consider a rig like that in the future, John, if you get into hollow
forms and such, but what you need right now to do your 4" deep, 2" wide
hollowing is more practice with the tools you have... Just a little
patience and
a learning curve and you could do that hollowing with a bowl gouge.. *g*

If I can sort my tool rest I think the bowl gouge will work a bit
better. At present with the standard minimum rest height and the rest is
touching the face of surface being turned, to get the bevel to rub the
cutting edge will be almost 1/4 inch above centre.
My latest bowl gouge has better swept wings, and have found that it
seems to work a lot better, but I need some more practice.

Remember that folks have been making cups, pots, vases, etc. for a lot more
years than we've had high tech laser guided carbide robotic arms available..
YMWV

Very true. I think technology has improved some aspects, but also taken
some of the skill out of the process. As I do not consider myself to
have the skill level to achieve quality results, I can use the
technology to fill the gap Maybe one day my skill level will rise so
that I am pleased with my results without the fancy technology

Also, since you seem to have metalworking skills, (wish I did), you might want
to learn a bit from the master and make one of these:
http://aroundthewoods.com/hooktool.shtml

My metalworking skills come from shop work when I was an apprentice, and
what I have picked up over the years through observation , and common
sense, plus an ability to extrapolate concepts to viable to solutions.
My turning skills are a growth from that so if can do it anyone can. On
my second day of turning I created my first captive ring, but that was
just looking at the concept and applying it

Since I'm metalworking impaired, I have one of these for hollowing:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...e=details#tabs

I have a simple design ring tool here but I would say it is far less
rugged than the one pictures. The first went back to the store on day
one as the ring was silver soldered to the shaft, unfortunately it was a
poor joint. The second it touched wood it came apart! The replacement
has been more successful, though my understanding is these are suitable
only for end grain and the hollowing I was doing was cross grain.

but I wouldn't use it on something less than maybe 5 or 6 inches deep as it
really doesn't work well with shallow stuff..

I have a few nice blanks here which are 12inch + deep which I will play
with later in the year, when it gets warmer ) My workshop has recently
been up as high at 6 deg C

--
John