Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default 2nd Amend. case

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:26:57 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

snipped - to show that it really can be done...

On the other hand, Montana may secede:

"Various Montana politicians have signed a resolution arguing that
anything other than an individual-right interpretation of the Second
Amendment ... would violate the compact between Montana and the U.S."

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/125075.html

I like those guys - may have to relocate

Ha-ha! Is that "Dixie" I hear them whistling? d8-)

I'm sure that any court, anywhere, would declare the "compact" moot. As
condition of statehood they had to declare that they would adhere to the
US
Constitution -- including amendments, Supreme Court decisions, etc.
Where
their constitution conflicts with the current Court declarations of the
US
Constitution, the supremacy clause comes into effect: the US
Constitution
trumps.

But it's an entertaining idea.

--
Ed Huntress

We had the same fantasy here in Texas when I was a kid.

As the only state that was an independent nation it was a fun fantasy to
play with. But civics class in high school ruined the whole thing!

Darned education...

Richard

I wonder if anyone would care to point out the portions of the
Constition and so forth, where states are forbidden to bail out of a
tyrannical Union?

They're bound by oath under Articles VI and VII. There's no getting around
it, Gunner. Once they ratified, they agreed to support the Constitution.

That rat******* Lincoln used the Might is Right model, because there
was no such prohibition to be found.

That's the result of an indifferent education on your part.

--
Ed Huntress