Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Randy is offline

Default I got a forklift, need some guidance

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:47:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 22, 10:56 am, Randy wrote:
Charger is connectable for 208/240/480 so I could try the 208 taps,
if I knew how to connect it for that, there's no sticker, and I have
no manual. I did email Hobart, but who knows how old this thing is. I
don't think the output voltage is regulated at all, it looks like a
power supply and a timer, thats it. It will take some more research.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 17:46:51 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote: Well, now you know why that battery is dead as a
door nail. You got to have
about 40 volts to charge a 36 volt battery.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Be careful interpreting voltage readings from a battery charger. It's
rectified AC (half-wave or full-wave) and the peaks will be higher than the
average or RMS value. You can get charging from a setup which, according to
the meter, shouldn't work. I'm not saying that's what your problem is, but
it is something to be aware of.

If you put a husky transformer on the input you might be able to boost the
output voltage enough to charge your battery fully. This could either be a
transformer with a 1.25 (or so) turns ratio, or one that gives you about 6
or 8 volts output, hooked series adding to the line voltage. I expect there
will be enough safety factor built into the charger to tolerate this much
over voltage.

Be aware also that if this battery has been in a discharged state for some
time, it probably has lost part of its capacity.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

So, what AC voltage did you connect to when you got the 30 volts? If
the thing was expecting 240 or 480 volts and you only supplied 220 or
120, then you might see and odd output voltage.

The 208 voltage makes me think 3-phase, the 480 makes me think three-
phase. Could this be the problem?

Paul

I hooked it to 240 3ph, it does want a 3ph input. it's output is
marked as 30 volts and thats what I got so I'm guessing it's set for
240V. My electrical friend looked at the jumpers and said try it. so
I did.