Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Smoking (was Mosquito under-25 repellant device)

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Clot wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
PeterMcC wrote:

I ain't entering the argument, you just made me curious and I
found that there are lots of links, this being fairly
representative:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_n12627478

Having said that, the Desert Island Disks remark gets a number of
mentions such as:
http://www.forestonline.org/output/Page159.asp

Well I am!

Forest are hardly a disinterested group, being largely funded by
the tobacco manufacturers.

So...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3826939.stm

... is the BBC with the same quote.

But I notice the other one - where he says "This is the first time
there has been a formal evaluation by scientists that has concluded
that involuntary smoking causes lung cancer" - is a year later.

I'm firmly free market here, completely unlike Blair's Britain with
its authoritarian stance on practically anything. Restaurants were
becoming no smoking before the politicians got involved; pubs
mostly weren't. This is a reflection of consumer pressure.

Most restaurants have been no smoking for years & I don't have a
problem with that at all. I don't have a problem with legislation
that gives people the choice & then makes sure its enforced.

But if I want a nanny I'll call Mary Poppins.

Did you have to? I now have visions of the film. How shall I get to
sleep, you rotten fellow?

Chim Chiminy, Chim Chiminy, Chim Chim Chiree! When you're with a
'sweep, you're in glad company. Never was there a more happier crew,
than them what sings Chim Chim Chiree Chim Chiroo! Chim Chim
Chiminy Chim Chim Chiree Chim Chiroo...

You'll be up all night now :-)

B*gg*r!