Frank Sweeting

Default Best Isolating valves for Central Heating Pumps??

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for advice on the "best" way to isolate my central heating pump

6 years ago I had 22mm pump valves fitted (these are the guys that
compression fit to the 22mm pipework, & then fit directly to the pump flange
with a (removeable from the fitting) large diameter backnut with a sealing
washer.

The pump failed over the weekend so I popped out, bought a new one & then
couldnt undo one of the backnuts. - I'm told this isn't unusual - & I think
I'm going to have to split this backnut to get the pump off

So 2 questions -

1 how can I remove the backnut from the pump - I can swing the isolating
valve & pump around the olive on the 22mm pipework! So the
backnut/washer/pump face are really tightly together! Ive tried bashing the
pump motor housing with a copper mallet while holding the isolating valve
body with mole grips - no good! There must be a magic way but I haven't
thought of it yet!

2 & what would you fit as isolating valves - are handle operated 90 degree
ball shut off valves any good over long periods of time?

I hope I've managed to explain the problem enough for you to understand what
I'm dealing with

TIA for any advice

Frank Sweeting

Frank Sweeting