Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to get an oval shaped copper pipe round again to installcompression fitting

On Feb 22, 3:57�am, mm wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:50:14 -0800 (PST), neilsanner

wrote:
Hi,

The old main valve of my house doesn't stop the water flow very
tightly when shut off. I need to install a new main valve. It's on

Why?

3/4" copper pipe. I'll install the new valve just over the old one.

Over??

The problem is that the old pipe is now more oval in shape than round
and I'm afraid that the joint will leak. I planned to use a
compression fitting, since the old valve, when closed, lets pass
enough water to prevent us using soldering.

Is there a way to get the pipe round again?

Can't you rebuild the current valve? �Turn off the water at the
street, and change the washer and/or the stem and whatever else needs
changing on the current valve

Best regards,
NeilSanner- Hide quoted text -

with such a important valve a new 1/4 turn ball valve is likely a good
idea.

have a friend who had a similiar problem and didnt want to call the
water company.

he had a novel fix, turned off water as best as possible disconnected
water line at meter exit, he put garden hose on meter and watered his
yard while he installed a second valve a couple feet from the meter.

then he reattached the meter line.

it worked fine, although it wouldnt help a meter leak, he feels thats
unlikely