Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Noise through ceiling/floor. Way to soundproof?

Jo - the girl wrote:

-snip-
Is there anything that either of us can do to soundproof the floor/
ceiling without tearing the house apart? Or is there something that we
could put around the TV so the sound won't travel upwards through the
ceiling?

I'd start with carpeting the floor. Think thick, fluffy, layers. .

Next- and this might appeal to the TV watchers- I'd really look into
external speakers on the 'people side' of the room. the worst
part about hearing loss for me has been that it is so subtle I barely
notice it. and the weird part is there are certain tones, like the
furnace fan, and humidifier that seem to mask the tones of TV shows.
so I keep gradually hiking the volume- then notice how loud t is when
the external sounds go off.

I've looked for headphones that could be used so I could control my
own volume, but haven't been successful. [all the headphones I've
found insist on being the *only* audio source in use]

Next, I'd try to mask it in your room. White sounds? Headphones?

I can put up with other noises but that TV is extremely annoying. I
think the problem is the constant change in sounds and tones.

I agree. Our BR is right over the TV, too. Even though I probably
hear worse than her- when I'm sleeping and she's watching TV there are
times when it keeps me awake.

Jim