Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

In message , mac davis
writes
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:05:49 GMT, John wrote:

longer, thicker scrapers are always good if you can afford them (I can't)

Type of rest can be as important with a scraper as where it is, IMO..
For stuff like you're doing, I really like a box scraper rest...
(Item G in link below)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,330,49238

I like the simple design of that rest. Luckily I have the stock, cut off
saw and welder to make something like it so can give it a try

You get better support and can usually get some of the rest inside the opening
that you're working..

As you say to pointing the rest into the hole and laying the tool on
it length wise hence having a large surface area of contact would
definitely increase stability

Something else I just remembered which is probably a big factor is the
height of the rest to centreline of work piece. I was looking into this
the other week, and found that the lowest height of standard tool rest
is (using metric here) 5mm below centre, with the tool being 7mm thick (
One reason I have been looking at an upgrade to the lathe. But if I make
some rests I can drop that height

As you get more experience with the scraper, you'll also have less catches..
it's actually pretty hard to get one once your technique smooths out..

I must say I only get a handful but they are often spectacular, but if I
can reduce the controllable variables maybe I will make none
--
John