Eric Stevens

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former CopperCasting In America (Trevelyan)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:24:32 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Eric Stevens wrote:
(Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

Greenland, ... archaeological evidence indicating
kayaks are 4,000 years old. ...

Yikes, imagine that... wood framed boats in use by Inuit people
for perhaps 4000 years! (Did you misread that the first time?
4000 years qualifies as "thousands", right?)

Wood framed boats may or may not have been used by the inuit for 4000
years but certainly not in Greenland. The inuit arrived in the north
of Greenland about the same time the Viking were arriving in the
south,

Note that the quote says, specifically, that in *Greenland* there is
some evidence indicating that kayaks are 4,000 years old. Obviously
if that is true (and it is), then Eskimos were in Greenland thousands
of years before the Vikings. And that is a *well* established fact.

I think we are about to start arguing about who were/are the eskimo
and who were/are the inuit. Then there are the dorset.

In any case, the discussion up to now has been about the inuit so your
introduction of the word 'eskimo' and its accompanying definitions is
a red herring.

Independence I 2400 BC to 1800 BC (north & northeast Greenland)

Saqqaq 2400 BC to 800 BC (west & southeast Greenland)

Independence II 800 BC to 200 BC (Peary Land & east Greenland)

Early Dorset 700 BC to 200 AD (entire coast of Greenland)

Late Dorset 1100 AD to 1300 AD (northeast and northwest G.)

Norse 985 AD to ~1450 AD (west and southeast G.)

Thule 1200 AD to modern (entire coast of Greenland)

You've clearly confused the time period of the Thule Eskimo culture
as the only Eskimo culture in Greenland. They were merely 1) the
most recent neo-Eskimo culture in Greenland, and 2) the one with
which the Norse had significant contact.

Eric Stevens