Michael McNeil

Default Another toolkit question

"Andy Milner" wrote in message ...
Sorry to be a killjoy but

the most important piece of equipment in your toolbox has got to be NICEIC &
ECA registration and qualifications otherwise one mishap and you could be
looking at compensation claim you'll never ever afford

Two plumbers in Liverpool facing manslaughter charges after fire they fitted
killed owner of flat with carbon monoxide poisoning

"Frisket" wrote in message

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
Not sure if this is d-i-y or not, but here goes anyway :-) Feel free to
ignore or abuse (be gentle) if you think this is too much OT.

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Now, I've done all sorts of figures and so on, and I've convinced most
of the people who need convincing that this is a reasonable plan, so I
need to start getting some firm ideas together about what tools and
equipment I need. That's where you lot come in.

Ignore the budget for now, but toolwise, and ignoring the obvious like
screwdrivers and test meters, what would you consider to be the
*essentials* for an electrician?

My list starts like this:

* decent SDS drill, masonry bits, channeling bits, chisels, maybe a
core drill or two. Been considering Bosch GBH 2-24DSR but open to
suggestions.

Personally I'd go for the 24v Makita - It's excellent and you'll

appreciate
being wire-free when you need to drill holes while you have the mains

board
on the floor.

* decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been
considering Makita and DeWalt 12V and 14V items.

Pretty much the drills of choice amongst the sparks at our firm

* decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g
floorboards without too much hassle.

Think about a circular saw - you have more depth control.

* small vaccuum. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

Get a cheapo if you can - plaster and brick dust kill them off pretty
quickly

The only other question which is perplexing me is whether to buy 240V or
110V devices. I can see that, should the business expand that way, 110V
(plus appropriate transformers etc.) would be appropriate for work in
offices, factories, schools and so on, and the tools are (mostly)
identically priced, but there's the (smallish) additional expense of
transformers, extensions and so on to consider and is it really
neccessary for domestic work which is my initial target?

110v kit and tranny will cover you for both domestic and industrial /
commercial otherwise you'll be laying out for the gear twice. Also, you'll
not be able to work on sites with 240v equipment. Whichever you go for

don't
forget it will need to be PAT tested before you'll be allowed to use it
anywhere other than private dwellings (bloody health and safety raises its
ugly head again!)

Hope that helps and good luck with the business, Richard.
ps. get plenty of practise sorting out mis-wired lighting circuits -

you'll
pay for a holiday in Barbados on them alone ;-)

Why don't you learn to snip you stupid *******?