Inger E Johansson

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former CopperCasting In America (Trevelyan)

"stevewhittet" skrev i meddelandet
news

"Eric Stevens" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:26:26 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

--- snip ----

"Origins of Sea Kayaking
Greenland
No one knows the precise origin of kayaks, but has
existed for centuries among the Inuit people of
Greenland, ... archaeological evidence indicating
kayaks are 4,000 years old. ...

Yikes, imagine that... wood framed boats in use by Inuit people
for perhaps 4000 years! (Did you misread that the first time?
4000 years qualifies as "thousands", right?)

Wood framed boats may or may not have been used by the inuit for 4000
years but certainly not in Greenland. The inuit arrived in the north
of Greenland about the same time the Viking were arriving in the
south,

Where should we draw the line between skin boats like kyaks and coracles,
birch bark canoes, plank canoes,

I thought everyone knew that you are talking about two ethnic groups when
you speak of Pre-Columbian kyaks and coracles on one side and birch bark
canoes and plank canoes on the other. The former used in Arctic areas by the
Arctic people Inuits and other, the later from NA south of the Arctic and
always Indians.

Inger E