Old Nick

Default Arc welder and house lights/appliances

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:04:51 -0500, "mongke"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:08:21 +0000, Old Nick wrote:

In all of this, safety or not, aren't you only going to get 20 Amps to
weld with?

ACtually it's interesting. This would probably work better on 110V
system than a 240Volt system, because the _voltage_ is there, and the
fuses all have to be twice as big for a given job.

In my house, the breakers are 15 Amp. 50Amp breakers woul be most
unusual in a domestic situation.

Whatever, even at 50A, it's a long way from a cheap 140Amp buzz-box.
They're only around $100 here, and less if no elads etc (which will be
a cost even with the salt resistor.

50 amps, which is the rating of my larger breakers. If I understand the
working principle of the contraption the amount of current is limited by
both the resistance of the resistor itself AND the wiring capacity (i. e:
wires and breakers) fo the house.

One by nature, the other perforce! G