Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_3_] mac davis[_3_] is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:05:49 GMT, John wrote:

I have a question and think I already know the answer and that's $$$

I took a section of green log and decided to turn it so the heart was in
middle of the sides of the pot. Most of the hollowing was done with a
scraper.

Now the issue I had is that a couple of times the scraper caught and dug
in and then bounced off the sides. One third of the tool including
handle was past the rest.

Am I correct in assuming that if the tool had a longer handle, and it
had caught I would have had more ability to stabilise it and hence
reduced the chances of it digging in and bouncing off the walls.

Or could there be another reason before I go and buy / or make a longer
tool for the job

longer, thicker scrapers are always good if you can afford them (I can't)

Type of rest can be as important with a scraper as where it is, IMO..
For stuff like you're doing, I really like a box scraper rest...
(Item G in link below)
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,330,49238

You get better support and can usually get some of the rest inside the opening
that you're working..

As you get more experience with the scraper, you'll also have less catches..
it's actually pretty hard to get one once your technique smooths out..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing