Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

In message , George
writes
Might. Leverage is good, but only when you're trying to use the tool
as a lever. Scraping broadside is one such operation. You really have
to rely on your rest (fulcrum), and if it's far away what happened to
you can happen easily.

Might want to consider edge presentation as the problem. Hollowing
along the grain is easily accomplished with tools like hooks or rings,
Darrell's Oland or a pointy gouge, as I use. It shears rather than
bludgeons, and with the gouge, as I use it, has a bevel to stabilize it
and prevent a catch. From what I can see, Darrell lays the side of the
tool up against the wood for stabilization as well. The ring or hook
tools have a bit less to stabilize them, but with a good rest there's
enough there to maintain a catch-proof angle if the mouth will permit
the handle enough travel. Any fingernailed gouge will also work,
albeit more slowly, since the sweet spot is pretty small to get a good shear.

I think part of my issue is obviously limited selection of tools. A
secondary issue was that with an opening of only 2 inches and a working
depth of about 4 inches, I was restricted on my options, and as such no
option for my tool rest to be any closer to the working face. It was
however as close as comfortable to the work piece.

Part of my thinking on the use of the tool was that with a longer handle
you have a greater movement which means in my mind would be easier to
sense and thus give a greater ability to react to the movement, where if
its a short handle the movement may only be a fraction of that, and
therefore less easy to respond quick enough.
Another factor to that is that when you have a shorter distance between
rest and tool you tend to grip tighter on the tool, than when you have a
greater distance which tends to be a relaxed grip.

I think it really comes down to me having to by a bigger selection of
tools
--
John