Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Random musings about genetically perceived good work. (long)

(Arch) wrote:

It's obvious that I've never had any formal training or took a class
in art or asthetics, but I know that no woman with a pleasng
personality is ever ugly. Could it be the same with our turnings?

Same here, I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.

Turns out that most(?) people from diverse cultures and walks of life
know what they like and it is all down to Nature. There are natural
forms such as the golden section and the Fibonacci series that appeal to
all.

Here are some books I can recommend:

Geometry of Design by Kimberly Elam - Overlays are especially useful.

Fragments of Infinity by Ivars Peterson - Some lovely step by step art &
more.

Nature's Numbers by Ian Stewart - Why do tigers have stripes and
leopards have spots?