Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

"John" wrote in message
I have a question and think I already know the answer and that's $$$

I took a section of green log and decided to turn it so the heart was in
middle of the sides of the pot. Most of the hollowing was done with a
scraper.

Now the issue I had is that a couple of times the scraper caught and dug
in and then bounced off the sides. One third of the tool including handle
was past the rest.

Am I correct in assuming that if the tool had a longer handle, and it had
caught I would have had more ability to stabilise it and hence reduced the
chances of it digging in and bouncing off the walls.
--

Might. Leverage is good, but only when you're trying to use the tool as a
lever. Scraping broadside is one such operation. You really have to rely

Might want to consider edge presentation as the problem. Hollowing along
the grain is easily accomplished with tools like hooks or rings, Darrell's
Oland or a pointy gouge, as I use. It shears rather than bludgeons, and
with the gouge, as I use it, has a bevel to stabilize it and prevent a
catch. From what I can see, Darrell lays the side of the tool up against the
wood for stabilization as well. The ring or hook tools have a bit less to
stabilize them, but with a good rest there's enough there to maintain a
catch-proof angle if the mouth will permit the handle enough travel. Any
fingernailed gouge will also work, albeit more slowly, since the sweet spot
is pretty small to get a good shear.