Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 110 or 220?

In article , "Jim" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news
In article , "Jim"
wrote:

Advantage of 220: Less voltage loss in the circuitry. Thus more of the
power that are buying (at a not so cheap price these days) gets wasted
heating the wiring.

Tell you what: why don't you calculate exactly how much difference that makes,
and get back to us with a monthly cost delta. Hint: not as much as you think.

Disadvantage of 220: Costs lots to install in old work. But only an
electrician would know how much more (depends on whatever else needs to be
done at the very least..

Pfffffft. The additional labor to install a 240V circuit, as compared to a
120V circuit, is negligible. Certainly doesn't cost "lots".

Once upon a time, I wanted to install an electric oven in my kitchen which
needed a 60 amp circuit. The existing oven only needed a 40 amp circuit,
and that
was what was in the house. So, I called an electrcian to get an idea. He
quoted a very high price because he would need to replace the wiring. It is
the labor
involved in old work that runs the cost up.

Exactly so. It is the labor involved in old work. Whether it's 240V or 120V is
almost irrelevant; it costs hardly any more to install 240V in old work than
it does to install 120V in old work. The cost is not a "disadvantage of 240V"
as you called it; the cost is a disadvantage of old work. That electrician
would have charged you very nearly the same to install a 60A 120V circuit.

--
Regards,