Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can I tell if there is freon in the AC?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:52:47 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

The only "right thing to do" is have a licensed technician check the units
and recover the refrigerant if there is any present. The technician should
then tag the units to indicate that they are free of refrigerant. This is
required by federal law and penalties for venting freon into the atmosphere
can be severe. The freon may have residual value, also. There has to be
someone in the area who services such units. Call and ask

Any liquid freon in the unit would be at ambient temperature and under
pressure. If the freon escapes and the pressure is no longer present, it
will spew and boil violently and get extremely cold. It can be very
dangerous, especially if there is a large quantity present. Do not risk
messing with it, due to the danger and the legal issues.

Don Young

Thank you.

Clicked too soon. Thank you. I'll talk to the other guy, whose idea
this was, and we'll do it right.