Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote:

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:41:13 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I always open an outside faucet wide open for about five minutes any
time the water is turned off to blow as much crap out of the lines
before using anything inside the house.

Hi Michael,
This is a GREAT idea! (if it works).

What I don't get is WHY there was all that sandy stuff after I replaced my
wagter heater. If anything, there should be LESS sediment in the lines, not
more (way more).

Where did all that sandy sediment that clogged every single faucet in our
tiny house come from?

Is this common that sediment blocks everything in one quick pass after
replacing a water heater?

If so, why did NONE of the tutorials I read mention that simple hint you
just gave us?

Who knows? They probably overlook it, thinking that everyone already
knows about it. People who are too close ot any subject tend to mitt
important details, because they think everyone knows THAT about the
job. I rewrote a lot of test procedures where I worked, because of the
engineering department doing the same thing. You had to train each tech
on each job, because so much stuff was left out, or just plain wrong.
Eventually, the system was changed to peer review the documents on the
test floor before changes were approved.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida