Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Hollowing a cross-grain pot

I have a question and think I already know the answer and that's $$$

I took a section of green log and decided to turn it so the heart was in
middle of the sides of the pot. Most of the hollowing was done with a
scraper.

Now the issue I had is that a couple of times the scraper caught and dug
in and then bounced off the sides. One third of the tool including
handle was past the rest.

Am I correct in assuming that if the tool had a longer handle, and it
had caught I would have had more ability to stabilise it and hence
reduced the chances of it digging in and bouncing off the walls.

Or could there be another reason before I go and buy / or make a longer
tool for the job
--
John