Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default 110 or 220?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:51:35 -0800 (PST), Airedale
wrote:

So the electrician comes out and quotes me $780 to run the new line. I
am blown away at how much it would cost for that.

Because we are planning on moving in about 5 years, I wasn't willing
to put that much money into the place for something I won't be reaping
the benefits of in the long run.

Instead I had him switch over an existing line in the garage from 15
Amps to 20 Amps. The only other thing that runs on that are a couple
of shop lights. Those don't draw too much amperage so I figure I'll be
fine.

Since the existing line was run with 14 gauge wire, they beefed it up
to 12 gauge. That whole little fiasco cost me $275.

You guys have any similar experiences? I am left thinking to myself
that I got into the wrong industry!

$780...Ouch! My house was setup for a 220v outlet for an electric
stove. Since I have a gas stove and gas clothes dryer, I had a choice
to take one of these for my shop 220v circuit. I decided to take the
stove 220v and wired that into the subpanel in my shop. I left the
220v laundry alone because I thought electric clothes dryers are more
popular than electric stoves. Plus a gas stove (unlike a clothes
dryer) would be left with the new home owner. I paid an electrician
$50 to inspect and test my wiring.