Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Wood Glue Suggestions ?

Joe wrote in
:

On Feb 19, 5:13*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Joe wrote
innews:a837e62c-e404-482b-bf6c-6c51f5a75f13@b2

9g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

On Feb 19, 11:00*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Haven't used wood glues for quite some time, so am not familiar
with what
is
"state of the art' these days.

Doing a small home project with a few pieces of pine.
Indoor use.
Pieces to be glued are about 6 inches.

Important that they do not come apart.
Also, no screws or nail backup.

What's the "best" to use these days ?

I don't like using epoxies for projects like this.

snip

You may not like it, but slow cure epoxies rule the roost for never
fail adhesives. It's not all that painful to mix equal parts of A
and Band and stir. That's why some of the better formulations are
sold in boat shops. I've also used Titebond II and III and like the
II stuff better. There is an equivalent Elmers out there that seems
as good as Titebond, check it out. *But if your project is mission
critical (love

those buzz words!) by all means use an epoxy.

Joe

Joe

West System is NOT "equal parts of A and B",they have mix ratios from
2:1 to 5:1.

System Three and RAKA are both 2:1 ratios(epoxy:hardener)

Be sure to read the instructinos for the brand of epoxy you use.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

JIm,
You are correct regarding epoxy-hardener ratios in the common
commercial systems. However, in my work
I use the unmodified industrial resins and hardeners, and the ratios
are indeed 1 to 1 for chosen systems. A favorite resin is Epon 826
with Versamid 140 hardener. Much slower cure time than the commercial
systems, but outstanding properties. Downside for some would be the
higher price, but in typical wood working projects it isn't a factor
IMO. One of these days I plan to try out some of the commercial guys
stuff and see how it compares to my home brew.

Joe

industrial epoxies may not come in small enough quantities for most home
users. Even Raka only comes in a 1.5 qt kit.

I've had good success using System Three(S3) and RAKA epoxies.
S3 and West are available in many local woodworking and boating stores.
and you can get fast and slow hardeners for them,depending on the temps in
your workplace. you can also buy glass cloth at the boat stores.

the S3 trial kit was a great deal,came with lots of different fillers to
experiment with.RAKA was less expensive than the S3 or West System
epoxies,but I had to mail-order it(Florida). I've played quite a bit with
fiberglassing and gluing large model rocket body tubes and fins.

Curing at higher than room temp is also a good idea,if you can work it
out.It makes for better strength and a faster cure.
I use incandescent lamps or my car's trunk in the hot sun. ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik