Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Wood Glue Suggestions ?

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
.
.. On Feb 19, 10:43 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message

. ..

Robert Allison wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Haven't used wood glues for quite some time, so am not familiar
with what is "state of the art' these days.

Doing a small home project with a few pieces of pine.
Indoor use.
Pieces to be glued are about 6 inches.

Important that they do not come apart.
Also, no screws or nail backup.

What's the "best" to use these days ?

I don't like using epoxies for projects like this.

I saw Gorilla Glue heavily advertised.

Is this what to get, or... ?

Pros and cons would be very appreciated for Gorilla Glue, and
perhaps some of the others would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Not gorilla glue. It is good for some things, but not (despite the
ads) the strongest. Go with a yellow wood glue such as Titebond
II. You can even use it for outdoor projects.

I agree. Gorilla glue is a polyurethane and polyurethanes do not
stand up
as well as the old wood glue or epoxy.

And the damn stuff grows and expands so much it either blows out the
dowels,
or you end up with a lot of gloppy globs you have to trim off. I'm
sure it's good for something, just haven't found it yet. Spendy, too.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I'll agree that epoxy is not the correct solution to every glue-up
situation. In fact, I've never used it for wood.

many epoxies do not SOAK INTO wood,and thus provide a poor bond.
Boatbuilding epoxies are much thinner than the usual epoxies you find in
stores(including "hobby epoxies"),and need fillers to be used as glue.But
they perform much better.

I really recommend downloading System Three's Epoxy Book;it's VERY
informative about epoxies. And it's FREE.

West,System Three and RAKA are all excellent boat-building/fiberglassing
epoxies.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik