Default ceiling fan install and blade weights & balance site is UP ...

Wow, this is completely insane.
First, what is with all the wood blocking?
I'd hate to have all that fall on me.

Simply loosen the set screws at that fork part and unscrew the fan from the
bracket.
Climb on the ladder and hook the fork into the hanger bracket you made.
Then climb up the ladder with the motor and screw it back in. Your bracket
rotates right? - if not you just need to twist the motor one or twice until
it engages the threads. If you are worried about dropping it, tie a rope
around it and loop it through the eye of your hanger.
Now install the blades.

I have no idea why you are concerned about putting weights at the balance
point of the blades. That makes no sense. Once they are bolted in the
balance point doesn't matter at all. Since you do not know if the mounting
bracket is balanced or even concentric or whether the blades are perfectly
aligned and identical even if there was a point in doing that there would
not be a point in doing that.

Balance them when they are on.

Turn on fan. If it doesn't wobble throw the weights in the trash.
If it does wobble use a small clip or clamp or clothes pin. Clip it on a
blade (pick one at random). Did it get better?
If not, move it to the next, and the next and the next...
Note which blade made the most difference.
Now try moving the clip in and out to see which way works best. Further out
means you have too little weight, in is the opposite.
It you go all the way out and it still wobbles then use another/heavier
clip.
When it is all OK, find a weight the same weight as the clip and stick it
on.
There is a chance that two blades may need a bit more weight (if the
imbalance is between the two blades), principle is the same, but you may
need two clips and a bit more trial and error.

-Jack

"dave" wrote in message
thanks to all for advice so far on blades balancing, fan blade weight
placement, etc. this fan deal "ain't over yet"

I put up a small site with some pretty good pix of this one-man-alone
ceiling-fan install job "in progress", including shots of some of the
stuff I made to hang the fan from, the jacking and cribbing involved to
get this monster up nine feet in the air by myslf, some of the obstacles
I ran into along the way, the weights I cast to balance the blades, etc

http://members.cox.net/tool_box/fan/index.html

guys that've responded to my "blade weights and balance points" question
are especially gonna wanna see the last two or three shots at the site...

oh yeah-there's a rub: the weights I made might not be useable in their
neccessary "balance point/center of gravity" locations (see last few pix
and their captions)

again, guys, I appreciate your help/thanks again

@ the site, just press your F11 key to enlarge your browser window,
because the nav links and captions are BELOW the big images.
--
to reply, please remove the "weird stuff" from my email address. thanks.