Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Festool

"r payne" wrote in message
I got a look as some of their tools today. While they do seem quality
tools and have some nice features I don't see anything that to me
justifies the cost. Can anyone with experience with the tools tell me
why they cost 2-4X what a good quality tool cost?

ron

I have their CT 22 vacuum, the Domino, and the 125 Rotex sander. Why pay
more? Test drive one.

For me the vacuum is, most of all, QUIET. ;~) It mates with almost every
Festool tool flawlessly and rolls around beautifully. The Domino is, well a
one of a kind tool. The Domino was initially why I bought a Festool tool.
the vacuum was pretty much necessary and I did not want to listen to the
typical shop vac any more. Robatoy has always tooted his whistle about his
Rotex sanders and I was ready to retire my dust spewing 18 year old PC right
angle ROS. The Rotex runs circles around the PC and sucks up 99% of all the
dust with the vac.

Put your hands on one and demo the tool and you should see why the price is
higher. 3 year warranty, 30 day money back guarantee IIRC. Cases that are
stackable and latch on to each other. Detachable power cords that can be
left with the vac and used on other Festool tools. Oddly, I have come to
like the Festool pricing policy. Your local dealer will be the cheapest
place to buy the tool because every one has to sell the tool for the price
that Festool suggests. I cannot say that I have ever heard of anyone
bitching about a Festool tool. I will add that I find the Festool sand
paper to not be far out of line with the competition. For the Rubin 5" H&L
disks you pay $19.50 for 50 disks. Dust extraction is so good that the disk
lasts longer and so far they do not get clogged up. You have to rely on
seeing progress slow down to know when to change out the paper. The paper
typically looks brand new after use.

If money is tight or you are going to be an occasional user the Festool may
not be right for you. If money is not an issue rest assured that you will
enjoy the experience of owning and using one. With the 30 day money back
guarantee you have little to risk.

BTY the less expensive ETS125 ROS sander can be held in place and guided
with a very light tough of your finger centered on the top. $165.00. If
you buy a vac at the same time most all tools offer a discount on the combo.