Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

"Charles G. Hill" wrote in message
For lo, Donna Ohl hath proclaimed:

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?
I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

I am billed in dekatherms, and assuming 10 therms to the
dekatherm, my last bill (over 32 days) was for 5.96 Dth, therefore
59.6 therms, or 1.86 therms per day.

Background: small 1940s home in Oklahoma, mostly average
temperatures for the month, gas furnace and water heater.

Incidentally, the meter reads in Mcf; a BTU factor is applied
based on the quality of the gas received. The actual meter
reading was 5.8 Mcf.

During the summer readings have been in the 2-Dth range per month,
about 0.7 therms per day; however, this past October I replaced my
22-year-old water heater with a new tank, which should
theoretically use a bit less gas than its predecessor.

Not sure what a Therm is, but we used 600 cubic metres last month and that
was an estimate. So the actual number was probably higher.