Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

On Feb 16, 6:12 pm, Franklin wrote:
On Mon 11 Feb 2008 18:32:20, Donna Ohl wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:04:46 GMT, Franklin wrote:

Donna, is there a freeware engineering tool for designing domestic
hot water heaters. Maybe there is one which links into a
suppliers a bill of material parts systems or their inventory
system. That would be useful for all of us. Can you help us?

Hi Franklin,

Thanks for asking for help. I did some research just for you and I
think the closest I can find to help you in a freeware section
(since you are so well known from the freeware side) is the GAMA
Association of Applicance Manufacturers web site - open and
available to all.
http://www.gamanet.org

At that site, they provide links for both supplier and consumer
bill-of-material and inventory calculators, mostly for suppliers
who wish to design and deliver inventory to commercial and
consumer.

For example, here's their section on product certification:
http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforesources.nsf/vAllDocs/
Product+Directories?OpenDocument

Here is their section on government affairs:
http://www.gamanet.org/gama/govtaffa....nsf/vAllDocs/
Current+Issues?OpenDocument

And, Franklin, here is their section on public information:
http://www.gamanet.org/gama/stats.nsf/vAllDocs/Public+
Information?OpenDocument

I've run a few more searches for you and this is the best they have
that I can find to help you but I will try to see if I can write a
PERL program that does the FHV and ER calculations I need.

You can rest assured Franklin that I will post the results (if
successful and meaningful) back to the group but first, I'm asking
the experts who know much more than I do about the implications of
the FHR and EF ratings because I want the program to be correct.
Don't you think that prudent?

As you know, I always help everyone I can and I always give back
more than ask for, and I summarize in the end so a newbie starts
off where we left ... so, you can rest assured, at least on the
water heater topic, that I will provide full telephone numbers,
part numbers, product specifications, prices installed, gotchas
(like mandatory replacement of flex pipes and $77 plumber's
inspection fees) and the like.

What else do you need Franklin?
Donna

Hello Donna, thank you for the information but I feel you have got the
wrong end of the stick. Oh dear, how silly of you. BOMP parts and
contact numbers can only be obtained for existing suppliers. I am
referring to the design of a complete new system. For that I was
wondering if you knew of a suitable CAD-CAM freeware application.

Or perhaps one of your friends in the groups you post your detailed and
painstaking posts might know? After all I think Bill would be pleased
to see the spirit of self-survival at work in the modern age if we were
all to design our own hot water systems. We could choose the amount of
certain types of metal to match our individual eco-preferences.

For instance, you probably like one metal but I like another. I think
it's all to do with our different respective star signs because they are
associated with different substances for jewels. And so, logic dictates
the answer that it must be the same for metals. You would design a hot
water system which minimized one metal and maximized another. I would
do so with different metals. Of course we would extend this to control
equipment and also to distribution equipment (I think Bill calls these
"pipes").

Oh Donna, you're such a great help. Our project is more assured of
success with such skills to hand. Can you let me have a link to a
freeware app which can do this. I mentioned my other requirements
earlier about linking in to BOMP and inventory. For now, accounts
receivable will have to wait as we are not apying anyone until we have
completed our first design. How's your own design coming on? You
certainly have amassed a lot of information about water heating and I am
sure we can assist anyone who is new at this.

For the same reason I do not think we should restrict ourselves only to
gas water heaters. Eco-friendliness must permit all fuels. I think we
will soon have a true winner on our hands.

Please let me know what freeare CADCAM you are using. My keyboard is
poised! Let's get started.

Whoooshhh!