Robert Swinney

Default Drill Press Accuracy Questions

Dan sez:
" I am sure the way Grant said will work well, it just is not what I do."

Your choice, of course. But with your "system" you would do nearly as well
with a hand held drill. Grant's advice was for machinists.

Bob Swinney

"Dan Caster" wrote in message
Somehow I often do things almost exactly the opposite of Grant. I
usually use a slender drill that is long and has a lot of flex. I do
centerpunch with a automatic center punch so that with a small drill
the center punch dent holds the drill from slipping. With the part is
a vise, but the table able to be moved, I move the part so the drill
is no longer flexed to one side. That is the drill is exactly over
where I want to drill. Then clamp the table from moving. Then I
apply some pressure and after the drill has the drilled the hole out
to the drill diameter I apply more pressure and drill through the part
with the slender drill. Then I go to the full size drill for the hole
that I want.

Dan