Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default 110 or 220?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:58:53 GMT, "George" wrote:

"Airedale" wrote in message
I am picking up a Table Saw and it comes prewired for 110, but have
been told it can be switched over to 220.

Right now I do not have a 220 line in the Garage, but am thinking of
having an electrician come out to put in the line. Is it worth it?
What are the benefits of going 220?

Not much advantage to going to the 240 as far as the saw's concerned,
due to the way the majority of the dual voltage motors are wired. What
should be a saving in less length of wire (parallel windings) is taken
away when the 240 connects them in series.

I'm pretty sure the gozinta equals the gozouta (watts) regardless of
whether it's wired for 120V or 240V. Parallel vs series doesn't affect
that at all. See Kirchoff.

Won't hurt, certainly, and you don't have to run as high gage
wires, due to lower amperage draw.

I'm always amused by this particular point. If smaller wires is the
goal then there's no point in wiring for 240V at all. Usually the need
for 240V (other than supplying 240V Only tools) arises from the 120V
wiring being inadequate in the first place. By going to 240V, the
current draw is cut in half, thus reducing the voltage drop (loss).
That solves the inadequacy part, but then turning around and saying,
"and, you can run smaller wires..." utterly negates the benefits,
putting one back to square one.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.