Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default 110 or 220?

Airedale wrote:
I am picking up a Table Saw and it comes prewired for 110, but have
been told it can be switched over to 220.

Right now I do not have a 220 line in the Garage, but am thinking of
having an electrician come out to put in the line. Is it worth it?
What are the benefits of going 220?

I probably need a line run anyway as I keep tripping the circuit
breaker with a few things running at the same time.

Thanks,

Adam

You have alot of pretty good suggestions about the subpanel,
etc., but I don't think anyone has yet answered your original
question.

The basic reason for running 220 volt vs 110 volts would be to
decrease the amperage load. For example: If you were running a
tool that draws close to 10 or 12 amps on normal run time, the
amperage would increase on start-up (initial load/torque) and if
the tool was put under a heavy load (like ripping on table saw or
taking the maximum cut on a planer) the amperage would also
increase, relative to the load placed on the tool. If plugged
into a standard 15 amp line, you'd most likely trip the breaker.
But even if not, you'd be pulling enough amps through the
standard 14 guage wire as to risk overheating it. (14 guage wire
is rated for 15 amps and 12 guage wire is rated at 20 amps.) You
must also have the proper receptacle for whatever you are going
to use... 110 volt/15 amp, 110 volt/20 amp, 220 volt, etc.)

Basic electricity (Ohm's Law) dictates that as voltage capacity
increases, the amperage decreases. So, a 15 amp load at 110 volts
would decrease by half at 220 volts... which would be 7.5 amps.

I run mine on 220, but I really can't tell much difference in the
performance of the saw. I have had it wired both ways, and it
doesn't seem to change the power of the saw. (Of course, I would
have to have two identical saws and try them side by side with
the different voltages to really compare.)

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.