Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default 110 or 220?

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Airedale" wrote in message
I am picking up a Table Saw and it comes prewired for 110, but have
been told it can be switched over to 220.

Right now I do not have a 220 line in the Garage, but am thinking
of
having an electrician come out to put in the line. Is it worth it?
What are the benefits of going 220?

I probably need a line run anyway as I keep tripping the circuit
breaker with a few things running at the same time.

I would run a line for a subpanel box. It greatly simplifies wiring
in the shop.

The best part about 220 is that it is needed for many tools. And if
you are like most of us, you will acquire more tools in the future.
Particularly if you ever decide to do some welding.

I'm not seeing the original post so replying here.

Other than being able to run tools that aren't available in 110
versions, the major benefit is that the current draw and thus IsquareR
losses in the wiring are cut in half. Thus, for example, my band saw
instead of taking a minute and a half to come to speed and popping the
breaker half the time instead comes up to speed in a few seconds.

I agree that a subpanel for the garage is the way to go. If code
allows you to do your own wiring, once the box is in place adding
additional circuits becomes much easier than running them to the main
breaker panel. You can also kill all power in the garage from the
main breaker panel if you need to.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)