Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Increasing woodburner efficency!

Another Dave wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
Mr Sandman wrote:
It strikes me that if we could extract more heat from the flue and
attach a fan like one you'd see on a fan assisted boiler, we get
even better heat output where its wanted and not up the chimeny.
Ive not seen anything on the market that does this...so do you think
it'd be worth experimenting with?

http://www.ecofan.co.uk/woodstove-ecofans.html

Another Dave

sure, but one of the attractions of a woodburner is that it doesn't
need electricity.

The adverts state SPECIFICALLY that the fans don't need batteries or
electricity but are powered by the heat of the stove.

Those fans look like they simply stir the air around the boiler, They do
not work in the flue at all. I think they should be quietly filed under
'Green********' along with solar volatics on the roof, windmills on te
roof, CFL lightbulbs...

I cannot envisage the equivalent of a turbocharger working well in a
stove environment at all. Mind you, with a proper pulverside load of
coke hops. you could make a solid fueled gas turbine to generate
electricity AND et. Now theres a thought. The noise would be impossible tho.