Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default actually metal working related - paint type and color

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:42:55 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

I am replacing my old taiwan drill press with a 17 inch rockwell delta
unit - one of the old ones - I got one, and it had some bad parts - so I now
have four heads - and I'm busy taking them apart and cleaning them up enough
to put all the best stuff into one drill press - I've been bead blasting or
stripping the castings one way or another, painting with an etching primer -
that leaves a finish coat

I know I always recommend Imron, but I can't get it any more and the Imron I
have left is black and I don't want a black drill press - I want a nice
modern pale green color, I think - so the question is - urethane? lacquer?
acrylic? two part epoxy? catalyzed acrylic? I have a finishmaster
automotive paint store nearby - I can get a pint of paint with some catalyst
for $30 or so - I don't mind using expensive materials because I really
really really hate doing stuff over -

so, what do you-all think?

I use Rustoleum industrial, usually Smoke Gray, and it holds up just
fine.

Ive also used the Sherwin Williams CENTURIOn Water-based Urethane with
good results on machine tools

Gunner

--
bill