Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Fast drying polyurethane??

"BD" wrote in message
I am making some book shelves out of red oak and I have some minwax
fast-drying polyurethane. It dries in about 3 hrs. it has the consistence
of water. My question is will I get a better finish if I use the old
fashion stuff. When I used this earlier it took several coats to get a
deep finish.

thanx
bill

FWIW, typically the more thin coats the better. They tend to flow out more
smoothly and show less brush strokes if you are using a brush.

That said, most all gel varnishes will dry to the touch in 15 to 20 minutes
and can often be recoated in as little as 2 hours depending on the weather.