Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Belt sander: Smoke escape!

On 2008-02-19, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Thanks Gerald,

All a little too late, as you suggested, I think there was something
in the switch that went with the relay. When I tried a conventional
DPDT switch, got 18 Amp draw to the motor and shortly thereafter, more
smoke. Ahh well. It served it's life well.

It might not be dead yet -- a short bit of smoke from the
windings is not always a sign of it dying -- though if you let it run
too long, it will die.

Two possibilities:

1) Bearings or drag somewhere in the mechanism, so the motor is
having to work a lot harder than normal.

2) As someone else mentioned, a current relay which is supposed to
switch off a start winding of some form is not working -- welded
contacts or debris (swarf) keeping the armature from moving to
break the circuit.

But -- it might be time to replace it anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564